St. John’s Episcopal Church
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
St. John’s Episcopal Church in 2009.
Show map of Alabama
Show map of the US
113 Madison Ave., Montgomery, Alabama
32°22′47″N 86°18′26″W / 32.37972°N 86.30722°W / 32.37972; -86.30722Coordinates: 32°22′47″N 86°18′26″W / 32.37972°N 86.30722°W / 32.37972; -86.30722
less than one acre
Frank Wills; Henry Dudley
NRHP Reference #
Added to NRHP
February 24, 1975
St. John’s Episcopal Church is a historic Gothic Revival church in Montgomery, Alabama, United States. It was designed by the New York City architectural firm of Frank Wills and Henry Dudley. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on 24 February 1975.
St. John’s parish was organized in 1834 and by 1837 the parishioners had moved into a modest brick sanctuary on the corner of Perry and Jefferson Streets. After little more than a decade, the church needed to expand after the state capital moved to Montgomery and a rise in cotton production swelled the region’s population. The current building was completed in 1855, in the same city block as the old, but facing Madison Street.
An interior view toward the altar in 1934.
St. John’s Episcopal Church was involved in several historic events around the time of the American Civil War. It hosted the Secession Convention of Southern Churches in 1861, which had helped fuel the South’s secession movement. St. John’s was also the church attended by the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis, when Montgomery was the capital of the Confederate States of America. The church was forced to close its doors in 1865 under Union Army orders, it would reopen for services in 1866.
The old building from the 1830s was torn down in 1869 and its bricks were used to construct an addition to the main structure. The building was expanded again in 1906. The church hosted many Army recruits from the nearby “Camp Sheridan” tent city during World War I, until an outbreak of the Spanish Flu forced the church to temporarily close its doors.
In May 1925, a bronze plaque in honor of President Jefferson Davis was dedicated. John Trotwood Moore, the State Librarian and Archivist of Tennessee, was invited to give a speech.
The church was renovated in